Skip to main content


Unit credits can be awarded for college-level transfer coursework that is similar in scope and depth to undergraduate courses offered at the UC campuses. The transfer course must:

  • be listed in the institution’s official course catalog for the year in which the course was completed
  • include the same, or similar, content to UC undergraduate courses
  • require the same, or similar, prerequisite coursework
  • be offered at the same level of instruction.

The coursework must be issued on an official transcript from a United States regionally accredited college or university, or from a university recognized by the Ministry of Education (or higher-education authority/appropriate government agency) in another country that offers university-level academic degree program courses comparable to a U.S. associate’s or bachelor’s degree.

Undergraduate students are awarded a maximum of 70 lower division units. This includes all community college units and any unit identified as a lower division course by the transfer institution.

Course evaluation & articulation

The Central Evaluation Unit (CEU) conducts an evaluation of each transcript submitted to Berkeley and determines if a course is UC transferable and at what level of articulation. Articulation is essentially an agreement that a course from an institution outside of Berkeley can be used to satisfy a degree requirement.

There are two levels of transfer course evaluation and articulation:

  1. UC transferable – At this level, a course meets the curricular and institutional criteria outlined above and is eligible for unit credits toward the minimum overall degree requirement of 120 units. This is the most basic level of course evaluation.
  2. Course articulation
    1. Course-to-requirement articulation – At this level, a course is approved to satisfy a degree requirement, such as general education breadth or an upper division major elective requirement. The course has not been approved as equivalent to a specific Berkeley course but does include appropriate content to allow it to satisfy a specific degree requirement in lieu of taking the Berkeley course.
    2. Course-to-course articulation – At this level, a transfer course has been approved as equivalent to a Berkeley course and may satisfy all degree requirements* in which the Berkeley course is accepted.

*Some exceptions exist for the American Cultures and Breadth requirements. The transfer course must also be articulated to the respective requirement. Refer to ASSIST for the list of approved California community college courses that may satisfy the Breadth requirements and to the American Cultures website for the list of approved courses to satisfy the American Cultures requirement.

Transfer coursework from the California Community Colleges

The lists of UC transferable courses, course-to-requirement, and course-to-course articulations for the California community colleges are established as part of the ASSIST program and published as a searchable database on the program’s website.

The transfer articulation unit at the UC Office of the President (UCOP) reviews California community college courses for UC transferability. Approved courses are listed on the UC Transferable Courses Agreements on ASSIST. Each campus then reviews the coursework to determine if it can be accepted for a course-to-requirement or course-to-course articulation. These approvals are then published as either Departmental, Major, or General Education articulation agreements on ASSIST to help you identify pre-approved courses for transferable units, major preparation, or breadth.  More information on how California community college courses are reviewed.

Transfer coursework from other UC campuses

All undergraduate courses (numbered 1-199) from the UC campuses are transferable to Berkeley. This means, at a minimum, unit credits will be awarded for any undergraduate course taken at another UC campus. 

In addition to awarded units, courses taken at other UC campuses are also awarded grade points which are calculated into the Berkeley GPA.

To determine if a UC course is eligible to satisfy a degree requirement, refer to Step 2 in the section below.

Transfer coursework from UC Extension

All undergraduate courses (numbered X1- X199) from any UC Extension program are transferable to Berkeley. 

Additionally, UC Berkeley Extension courses numbered XB1 – XB199 are transferable, and grade points from XB courses are awarded and calculated into the Berkeley GPA per the criteria outlined in the Berkeley Academic Senate regulations.

All XB courses are considered to be equivalent to a Berkeley course and are considered a repeat if you have previously taken the course as a Berkeley student. See the FAQs below for more information on transfer credit and repeats.

Transfer coursework from other domestic and international institutions

Courses completed at other domestic or international institutions undergo a two-step evaluation process. If you are planning on studying abroad through an independent program, please contact Berkeley Study Abroad for more information on pre-evaluation of coursework.

  1. Evaluation for UC transferability
    First, the course is reviewed for UC transferability. This step checks that the coursework is eligible for unit credits by meeting the curricular and institutional criteria described in the Eligibility section of this website.

    To request a transfer course be reviewed for UC transferability, please contact the CEU by opening a CSC case. This evaluation can also confirm how many units you may earn from the course and whether lower or upper division units will be awarded.

    If you have already completed the transfer course, then the review for UC transferability will occur when the official transcript is received.

    Remember, this step is not required for UC campus and UC Extension undergraduate courses (courses numbered 1-199) as these are all transferable to Berkeley for unit credits. For the California community colleges, the list of UC transferable courses is available on ASSIST.

  2. Review for a degree requirement
    Second, the course is reviewed for eligibility to satisfy a degree requirement. If you intend to use the transfer course for unit credits only, this step is not needed.

    Newly admitted and continuing Berkeley students: Use the chart below to identify the unit responsible for the requirement. Contact the unit to confirm whether the transfer course(s) may be used to fulfill the degree requirement:

Requirement Unit Responsible
American History and Institutions (University requirements)

The Central Evaluation Unit

open a CSC case

American Cultures (Berkeley campus requirement) The American Cultures Center
College Requirement

Haas School of Business

College of Chemistry

College of Engineering

College of Environmental Design

College of Letters and Science

Rausser College of Natural Resources

Major Requirement

College of Letters and Science students, contact the adviser for your major or intended major.

All other students see the link for your college advising unit above

Minor Requirement Contact the adviser for your minor program

Remember, this step is not required for transfer courses taken at the California community colleges. The course-to-requirement and course-to-course articulations for these institutions are available on ASSIST.